Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ecclesiastes 1-2

Wow.. I really suck at keeping a blog, so I'm not even gonna pretend like I'm gonna keep this one going! haha
I just wanted to update from, oh, like what? Six months ago? ha! (If you wanna skip the intro & get to the verses, just go down to where it says, "The main theme of this book is...")

Okay, so this summer I was depressed with basically everything that was in my last post.. & I truly believed that I was still trusting in God through all of that. But really, if I was I wouldn't have been so depressed because I would have realized that I'm going to have a life beyond all of that.. & that is what God has been teaching me in the past six months!

Now for about 2 years or so, I read a section of the bible verse by verse every night. In the past few months though I've started to write down verses that really impact me & it's made such a difference in my relationship with God! I ended reading Proverbs on Dec. 14 & I'm always eager to see what he has instore for me next & I felt like He was telling me to read the next book, Ecclesiastes. Hence the name of this blog!

If you haven't read this book of the Bible, I totally recommend that you do! It's showed me so much in such a short period of time that I wish I'd read back in the summer! Since I just finished it this morning, I thought I would go through & write down some of the verses that really struck me & have helped me in my walk with Christ!

The main theme of this book is that life is meaningless apart from a relationship with God!

Ecc 1:14: "I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them meaningless, a chasing after the wind."
Ecc 1: 18: "For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge the more grief."
What this meant to me: The more wisdom and knowledge you have about the world, the more you realize how lost we all are chasing after things that don't really matter. We chase after money, appearance, and for me, school. Yes, school matters because we have to provide for ourselves and money matters for this reason as well, but in the end, God is the only one who can provide for us. Money can easily be taken away, but nothing can separate us from God!

Ecc 2: 14 (talking about the wiseman & the fool): "...but I came to realize that the same fate overtakes them both."
Ecc 2: 24: "...This, too, I see, is from the hand of God for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?"
What this meant to me: God wants us not to hate life because it's fleeting, but enjoy life because he has given it to us to enjoy! Ultimately, we find our joy in God alone because we are thankful that he provides for us, is always there for us, gives us eternal life, & we realize that God is the only thing that is truly meaningful & will last forever!

I won't promise, but hopefully I will continue this blog because it means more to the than the last ones! So, I'll try! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment